Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Managing a Mold Problem

By Homefix Corporation

Moist environments in your home are invitations for mold growth. Besides the unsightly appearance of mold flourishing on your indoor surfaces, mold presents a health hazard. Allergic reactions, asthma, irritation, and other diseases and conditions can be caused or aggravated by mold spores, and repeated exposure can make these conditions even worse.

Manage Moisture, Manage Mold

Leaky pipes, basements that flood regularly, and other environments that are often exposed to water are prime breeding grounds for mold. The solution is to remove the source of excess moisture by sealing and leaks, and repairing any pipes. This will prevent the mold from growing once again.

It gets a little trickier when the problem is due to humidity. Bathrooms are welcoming environments for mold growth, as are kitchens and laundry rooms. Proper ventilation is key, which means that you will need to employ a dehumidifier, or a fan of some sort to direct the air outside. When you are finished with the shower, leave the bathroom door open to allow the moisture to escape, rather than trapping it inside. Your air conditioning system can also help prevent mold by maintaining the moisture level of the air.

It is also important to be aware of absorbent materials that may contribute to mold growth. These include insulation, carpeting, and ceiling tiles. Be sure to keep these materials away from moisture, and if your insulation is exposed, replace it.



Be Safe When Removing Mold

Remember to protect yourself, not only from the mold, but from the cleaning supplies used to remove it. Protect your eyes and face by using goggles and a mask, and wear rubber gloves. A significant mold problem may be best handled by a professional, especially if there is the possibility of mold in inaccessible areas of your home.

You may also be interested in:
Avoid Basement Floods and Water Damage
Why Is There Condensation on My Windows?
Homefix at Home